It’s easy to understand why a poorly designed office chair can affect you physically, but did you know that it can also lead to mental health problems? A study conducted by Leeds Metropolitan University in 2014 found that there is a direct link between sitting uncomfortably and future mental health issues. You can view the published report here. Take a look at some of the findings, and how you can ensure you maintain good health at work.
- Office workers now spend an average of 5 hours a day at a desk. Out of the 4,664 workers that took part in the study, 80% suffered from ailments that were due to not sitting correctly throughout the day. It’s not surprising that these ailments can lead to chronic conditions. However, many employees feel that their employers don’t put their health and wellbeing first.
- When the study was conducted, 18% of the workers had suffered with depression in the last three years because of ailments that had come as a result of their working conditions. That number is only set to rise.
- Shockingly, more than half of the workers involved in the study confirmed that their personal lives, including relationships, had been affected by the poor conditions at their workplace. This means that it’s highly likely many office workers are dealing with pain, such as neck and back pain and headaches because they aren’t getting the lumbar support they need. This in turn is making them irritable during their free time with family and friends, causing rifts.
- Chronic pain is defined as any pain that lasts more than 3 to 6 months. It can be one of the biggest causers of depression. If you’re suffering from chronic pain as a result of having to sit uncomfortably for hours on end, there is something you can do. Operator chairs make sitting for prolonged times much easier. You’ll also find some great tips for dealing with depression here.
Getting ergonomics right with operator chairs
Your employer should be making your health and wellbeing a priority. It’s no secret that when a workforce is happy and healthy, productivity is at its highest. Operator chairs can solve a multitude of problems when it comes to workers that have no choice but to sit for hours throughout the day. They provide a comfortable seat, lumbar support, height adjustment and arm rests. If you feel you could benefit from a chair like this, lead your employer in the direction of Office Furniture Online.
The amount of office chairs available means that there’s something suitable for every person. The range was voted number one on Reviewcentre.com and got a 5/5 from Trustpilot reviewers. Whether you make a single purchase or a large order, Office Furniture Online can accommodate you. All orders benefit from free next day delivery throughout mainland UK. So, if you’re concerned about your future health because you don’t have the correct support, be pro-active and take a look at what you could do to fix it.
Latest posts by John (see all)
- Decorating the home office is easy - 17/03/2018
- First day at work? What you need to take for your desk drawers - 16/03/2018
- Helping Schools & Teachers accross the UK with free office furniture - 14/03/2018