If you choose office chairs from a leading European supplier such as Nowy Styl you give yourself the best chance of attaining the correct posture as you work. However, there are plenty of things that you can do to relieve the discomfort caused by sitting for long periods in any office chair.
Take some time to think carefully about how you sit at your desk. Focus on your body and how it is feeling rather than concentrating on the chair itself. By working through key features of your posture, one at a time, you can make small adjustments that will make you feel a lot more comfortable. Don’t wait for aches and pains to start – a proactive approach is always best!
Adjusting your office chair for the best posture
Sit in your office chair and adopt your usual working position. Then work through the following key areas:
- Start with your elbows. Place your hands on your desk as you would when working and then gradually adjust the height of your chair to ensure that your elbows are at a 90 degree angle to your work surface. Your screen should be at eye level.
- Focus on the angle of your knees. When you are working, your knees should be bent at a 90 degree angle. If this angle is not achieved, you will start to feel pressure at the back of your legs as the blood flow will be restricted. You may need to sit for a while to check that you have attained the correct position.
- Don’t forget that depth is important too. It is easy to get carried away with height adjustments and forget to check the depth of your seat. You can do this with a simple little test. Sit flat on your seat with your back up against the chair back and reach for your calves. If you can touch them with a minimum of effort your chair is well adjusted. If not, your chair may be positioned too deep and you may need to readjust the backrest.
- Get the back support in place. The back seat should be right up against your lower back to maintain the S shape of your spine. At no point should you be slumped or slouched. Check that you are not leaning forward when you are working as this will place strain on your lower back and neck.
- Extra adjustments for armrests. If you have a chair with armrests, they should cause your arms to be slightly lifted at the shoulders. This has the dual effect of reducing back strain and discouraging a slouched posture.
Your choice of Nowy Styl seating can make all the difference
Find out more about our range of Nowy Styl seating at Office Furniture Online. The range combines all the quality and comfort that you require with leading ergonomic design to give you the product you need for your office.
Latest posts by John (see all)
- The office filing cabinet – not just a metal box - 19/05/2018
- Chairercise: Keep fit tips you can do in the office - 19/05/2018
- Do you know what your office chair is doing to your body? - 16/05/2018