It has been highlighted that UK workers are paying a high price for their sedentary occupations. A huge number (23 million) of working days are lost each year due to musculoskeletal problems and this adds up to a massive £100 billion loss to the economy. The situation requires urgent action. The only way to tackle this epidemic is to look carefully at the office furniture that we use and the way in which we carry out our jobs.
What are the healthiest work regimes?
If you want to look after your postural health you need to work at it. In the same way as you look after your diet, you need to plan what you are going to do throughout the day.
- Sitting is a strain. It may sound counter-intuitive but sitting down puts a great strain on our bodies and makes us tired. We need to tense certain muscles to maintain the sitting position. Over-time this leads to muscle fatigue, localised inflammation and eventually pain. If you can limit the amount of time that you sit at a desk, you limit the strain.
- Walking around is the answer. Getting up from your desk and walking around gently stretches your muscles. You can circle your ankles and arms as well. It is even better if you can get some fresh air.
- High quality kit is the way forward. It is worth investing in high quality furniture from a reputable supplier. It will be ergonomically designed and will work in harmony with the body.
It is perfectly possible to adapt your working day to fit in some gentle exercise. You can use the timer on your phone to remind you that you need to move!
Can using Elite Progress Sit-Stand Desks help?
The simple answer is ‘Yes’. Whilst it would be wrong to blame every bad back on an office desk or chair, there is no doubt that they make a huge contribution to our postural health. Using Elite Progress Sit-Stand Desks may help.
- They make it easier to stand up more often. A sit stand desk will allow you to stand up yet still keep working. If you are in the middle of a crucial paragraph, and worried that you will forget what you were going to say, you can just keep typing whilst stretching your legs.
- They make you want to stand up more often. When you work at a sit stand desk, you will naturally feel that you want to stand up more often. You may not need to set a timer!
- They help your circulation. The action of frequently standing up, and then sitting back down, increases the flow of blood around the body. This, in turn, increases the flow of oxygen to the brain and improves concentration.
Elite Progress Sit-Stand Desks can be part of the solution to the back pain at work problem. Why not browse through the full selection at Office Furniture Online now and make an investment in your employee’s postural health. It will save you money in the long run!